Last week the first part of the 7th Harry Potter movie came out. It’s the beginning of the end, and to celebrate I had a Harry Potter Party. We watched the musical, Wizard People Dear Reader, and we drank butterbeer. It wasn’t magical, but it sure was fun!
After spending far too long looking for the perfect recipe on the internet I settled with the AP recipe. I got it here: http://www.alotofloves.com/2010/07/butterbeer-recipe-showdown-which-is-best.html But I’m sure there are a thousand other places you can find it! Here’s the recipe copied as I found it:
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons water
- 6 tablespoons butter
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon cider vinegar
- 3/4 cup heavy cream (whipping cream), divided
- ½ teaspoon rum extract
- 4-12 oz Cream sodas
- Combine the brown sugar and water in a small saucepan. Bring to a gentle boil over medium heat stirring constantly until mixture reads 240F on candy thermometer.
- Stir in the butter, salt, vinegar and 1/4 whipping cream. Set aside to cool to room temperature. (Note: Can put it in the fridge or freezer to speed up the cooling.)
- Once the mixture has cooled, stir in the rum extract.
- In a medium bowl, combine 2 tablespoons of the brown sugar mixture and the remaining 1/2 cup of whipping cream. Use an electric mixer to beat until just thickened, but not completely whipped, about 2 to 3 minutes.
- To serve, divide the brown sugar mixture between 4 tall glasses (about 1/4 cup for each glass). Add 1/4 cup of cream soda to each glass, then stir to combine. Fill each glass nearly to the top with additional cream soda, then spoon the whipped topping over each.
Remember how it’s called butterbeer? Yeah, there’s a lot of butter.
Mixing it up was probably my favorite part.
The final product! It was a little too sweet for me, but it did taste a lot like I imagined butterbeer would taste!
At least one person drank it all, even if I couldn’t!